South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands stamps

P=have O=dont have it

File:Flag of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.svg

South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (SGSSI) is a British overseas territory in the southern Atlantic Ocean. It is a remote and inhospitable collection of islands, consisting of South Georgia and a chain of smaller islands, the South Sandwich Islands. South Georgia is 167.4 kilometers (104.0 mi) long and 1.4 to 37 km (0.87 to 23 miles) wide and is by far the largest island in the territory. The South Sandwich Islands lie about 520 kilometers (320 mi) to the south-east of South Georgia. The total land area of the territory is 3,903 square kilometers (1,507 sq mi).

There is no native population on any of the islands, and the only present inhabitants are the British Government Officer, Deputy Postmaster, scientists, and support staff from the British Antarctic Survey who maintain scientific bases at Bird Island and at the capital, King Edward Point, as well as museum staff at nearby Grytviken.

The United Kingdom claimed sovereignty over South Georgia in 1775 and the South Sandwich Islands in 1908. In 1908 the United Kingdom annexed both South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. The territory of "South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands" was formed in 1985; previously it had been governed as part of the Falkland Islands Dependencies. Argentina claimed South Georgia in 1927, and the South Sandwich Islands in 1938.

Argentina maintained a naval station, Corbeta Uruguay on Thule Island in the South Sandwich Islands from 1976 until 1982 when it was closed by the Royal Navy. The Argentine claim over South Georgia contributed to the 1982 Falklands War, during which Argentine forces briefly occupied the Island. Argentina continues to claim sovereignty of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands

See: Falkland Islands stamps

File:LocationSouthGeorgiaAndSouthSandwichIslands.png


Scott: #403O

Issued: 12.04.2010

100th Anniversary, the Post Office of South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands

Thanks to Prof. Plinio Richelmi

 

The Post Office on South Georgia opened in 22 December 1909; some two years after the first whaling station had been established at Grytviken. Up to 1944 stamps from the Falkland Islands were used, but stamped with a South Georgia stamp.

Each of the stamps in the sheet represents one decade in its history.

1909-1918: The Post Office used Falkland Islands stamps until 1944. However, in 1911 James Innes Wilson, the Postmaster, had proposed that the island issue its own postage stamps. This was supported by the authorities on the Falkland Islands and an essay (a stamp that was designed but never issued) was produced for the 2d foreign rate. The order for the stamps was cancelled on 19th December 1911 following instructions issued by the Secretary of State for the Colonies. Two sepia essays were produced by De La Rue depicting an engraved head of King George V based on a portrait by the Australian sculptor Bertram Mackennal.

Inside 403a: South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands essay of 1911O

 

1919 to 1928 and 1929 to 1938: There were a number of occasions when the Post Office ran out of stamps, in particular the 1d and 2d values needed for the basic Inland, Commonwealth and Foreign rates. This led to several different provisional solutions. 2d stamps were overprinted locally in January 1928 with a metal hand stamp reading 2d and 2d stamps of the Whales and Penguins issue were bisected in October 1930 to act as 1d stamps. (Bisects had also been used in March 1923. Special hand stamps reading Paid at/At South Georgia were used from October 1911 to February 1912 on postcards and envelopes without stamps.)

 

Inside 403b: Falkland Islands #52O (Falkland Islands #43 overprinted 2d)

Inside 403c: Falkland Islands #56O

Inside 403 (In margin): Falkland Islands #43O

1939-1948: At this time South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands were one of the Falkland Islands Dependencies. In December 1943 the United Kingdom Government sent a secret military force south under the codename Operation Tabarin to establish bases on other FI Dependencies: the South Orkney Islands, the South Shetland Islands and Graham Land. All the Dependencies were issued with their own postage stamps by overprinting the current d to 1/- King George VI values of the Falkland Islands. The 1/- value issued for South Georgia depicting Mount Sugartop represents this period. The stamps were officially issued to the public in London and at King Edward Point, South Georgia, on 3rd April 1944.

Inside 403d: Falkland Islands #3L8O

 

1949-1958: From February 1946 to July 1963 South Georgia used stamps inscribed Falkland Islands Dependencies. This period is represented by the 1d stamp issued on 4th June 1953 for the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II.

Inside 403e and in margin: Falkland Islands #1L18O

 

1959-1968: Following the ratification of the Antarctic Treaty by the United Kingdom in 1960, the political decision was taken to form the South Orkneys, the South Shetlands and Graham Land into a separate UK Overseas Territory The British Antarctic Territory - while South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands remained dependencies of the Falkland Islands. South Georgia issued a new definitive series on 17th July 1963. The 5/- value depicting elephant and fur seals represents the definitive series which was overprinted with decimal values in 1971 and remained the definitive issue until 1980.

Inside 403f: South Georgia #13O

 

1969-1978: South Georgia celebrated on 17 January 1975 the bicentenary of Captain Cook taking possession of the island in the name of King George III. Commemorative stamps were issued on 26th April 1975. The 8p value depicts Cooks ship Resolution in ice floes with the mountains of South Georgia in the background.

Inside 403g: South Georgia #42O

 

1979 - 1988: Grytviken, King Edward Point and Leith Harbour were occupied by Argentine Military Forces from 3rd to 25th April 1982. Following liberation, the Falkland Islands Dependencies issued on 13th September 1982 a 1 stamp with a 1 charity surcharge in favour of the South Atlantic Fund. The stamp depicts a map of South Georgia. South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands became a distinct UK Overseas Territory on 3rd October 1985.

Inside 403h: Falkland Islands #1LB1O

 

1989-1998: Times have changed on South Georgia. The last land-based whaling station closed in 1965. The island is a wildlife paradise and strict conservation measures are now in force. The wildlife has been depicted on many stamps over the years. On 12th March 1992 a set of stamps was released relating to Teal ducks which breed on South Georgia. The 20p value shows an adult and two ducklings. The stamps also bear the Panda Logo of the World Wildlife Fund WWF , now referred to in many countries except the USA and Canada as the World Wide Fund for Nature.

Inside 403i: South Georgia #165O

 

1999 to date: The name Sir Ernest Shackleton will forever be associated with the island of South Georgia. His heroic boat journey in the James Caird from Elephant Island to the west coast of South Georgia in 1916 and his subsequent crossing of the island are legendary. Sir Ernest died on board the Quest in King Edward Cove on 5th January 1922 and is buried in the local cemetery. In August 2009, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands issued a new definitive series commemorating his life; the 5 value is depicted here.

Inside 403j: South Georgia #391O

 

http://falklandstamps.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=125:ten-decades-of-stamps&catid=43:commemoratives-&Itemid=124


http://www.sgisland.gs/index.php/(g)stamps

HOME | COUNTRIES LIST